"atomic" 64-bit math on 32-bit ppc's?

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Tue Sep 4 21:09:22 EST 2007

Hi guys,

Since this is a generic PPC coding question I figured I'd send it here. We're
looking to make the small effort to get ZFS-FUSE working on PPC and there is
a need (as is implemented on Solaris) for some 'atomic' math operations to
ease multithreading in ZFS.

The Solaris PPC code drop included most of these functions for 32-bit ops on
32-bit PPC architectures but the 64-bit operations are not present. What I
a not clear on is the operation of lwarx and stwcx. and if they will work if
you are doing operations on two words at a time.

There has to be something somewhere that implemented these already (gcc??)
and if anyone knows I'd love to know..

--
Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations