RFC: replace device_type with new "class" property?

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Wed Oct 31 09:58:27 EST 2007

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 09:23:14AM -0700, Yoder Stuart-B08248 wrote:

> > Explicitly specifying what device class bindings / conventions the
> > node complies with is cute, but not actually all that useful in
> > practice.  If it looks like a "duck" class device node, and it
> > quacks^Whas the properties of a "duck" class device node, it's "duck"
> > class compliant.
>
> Don't know how cute it is, but I think it is practically
> helpful.   Take another example:
>
> Say you-- a human reader-- see this in a device
> tree:

> interrupts = <b 8>;
> interrupt-parent = < &mpic >;
>
> What does the 'b' and '8' mean?  You look
> at the interrupt controller node--
>
>   mpic: pic at 40000 {
>      clock-frequency = <0>;
>      interrupt-controller;
>      #address-cells = <0>;
>      #interrupt-cells = <2>;
>      reg = <40000 40000>;
>      compatible = "fsl,xyz";
>      big-endian;
> }
>
> Note-- I removed the device_type property and changed
> compatible somewhat.  How are you going to find where
> the meaning interrupt controller's interrupt cells are
> defined?   What spec will you look at?
>
> device_type = "open-pic"; makes it perfectly clear.
> It's an open-pic type controller and follows that
> binding.

That's an extremely contrived example - it only works because for
historical reasons the "open-pic" device_type describes a programming
model as well as an OF method interface.  In general, you always need
to look at a node's "compatible" and the binding for that to work out
what it's properties mean, or if it's an interrupt controller what the
format of its interrupt specifiers is.

open-pic is the *only* example I can think of where device_type will
tell you this.  In fact, "open-pic" really belongs in compatible.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson