RFC: replace device_type with new "class" property?

Yoder Stuart-B08248 stuart.yoder at freescale.com
Wed Oct 31 06:06:33 EST 2007

Not every string listed in compatible has a spec
backing it (or should be required to).  You would
have to go look at the source code and cross your
fingers that the comments were sufficient.

Another good reason for device_type-- it helps
distinguish between two similar classes of devices.
Both "open-pic" and "isa-pic" look very similar but
have different encodings of their interrupt cells.
Without a device_type it may be difficult or impossible
to distinguish them unless the "name" and
"compatible" are luckily clear enough.

Stuart