boot/wrap assumes a biarch toolchain?

Anton Blanchard anton at samba.org
Tue Oct 30 01:07:20 EST 2007

Hi,

Jan is seeing the following fail:

WRAP    arch/powerpc/boot/zImage.pmac
powerpc-linux-objcopy: vmlinux: File format not recognized

He is using a cross compile toolchain invoked with the following command
line:

# make HOSTCC=gcc-4.0 ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc64-linux- CROSS32_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-

It seems like boot/wrap wants to use both 64bit and 32bit tools, however
it only receives the 32bit path:

ifneq ($(CROSS32_COMPILE),)
CROSSWRAP := -C "$(CROSS32_COMPILE)"
else
ifneq ($(CROSS_COMPILE),)
CROSSWRAP := -C "$(CROSS_COMPILE)"
endif
endif

Thoughts? I guess we have to pass in both cross compile targets.

One way to make this go away would be to build binutils as biarch:

# configure --target=powerpc-linux --enable-targets=powerpc64-linux ...

Anton