Audio codec device tree entries

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Thu Oct 25 10:04:25 EST 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 10:38:11AM -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
> On 10/24/07, Jon Smirl <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 10/24/07, Grant Likely <grant.likely at secretlab.ca> wrote:
[snip]
> > > For example:
> > > sound at 0 {
> > >       compatible = "<mfg>,<board>,sound"   // The board might have
> > > more than one sound i/f which could be wired differently
> > >       codec-handle = <&codec0>;
> > > };
>
> The difference here is that the node provides real information about
> the board.  It has a compatible field which tells you *exactly* what
> sound circuit is present on the board.  It can have additional
> information that does make sense to encode into the device tree (ie.
> the codec that is used).  It's not addressable (no registers or
> anything), but it does describe the board.
>
> It would be possible and reasonable for a single fabric driver to work
> with many different circuit layouts as long as it has the information
> needed to adapt each instance.

This still seems nasty, since it seems to do little but duplicate the
platform information.

I'm afraid I still don't understand quite what information this
"fabric" driver is conveying.  Is it really inherently platform
specific, or is it something that can be encoded directly in a
sensible way.  If the latter we could have a general "device tree"
fabric driver that will handle all systems with the layout correctly
encoded in the device tree.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson