Audio codec device tree entries

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Thu Oct 25 01:20:44 EST 2007

On 10/24/07, Grant Likely <grant.likely at secretlab.ca> wrote:
> On 10/24/07, Jon Smirl <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I don't think I agree with that.  The device tree should indicate which codec is
> > > connected to which I2S/AC97 device.
> >
> > What I meant was that there is no attempt to describe how the codec is
> > connected to the external world. Those connections are described in
> > the fabric driver.
> >
> > I'm getting conflicting opinions on how the devices should be linked
> > into the tree. We should pick one and add it to the documentation.
>
> Two valid methods have been proposed
> 1. a codec-

oops

1. a codec-handle property in the i2s node
2. an i2s-handle property in the codec node

Either are reasonable.  I prefer putting the handle in the i2s node;
but I'm looking at it from the way that ethernet phys are being
described currently.  The other is also perfectly valid.

I suppose it depends on what point of view you see the system from; either:
a. the codec is supported by the i2s bus, in which case use the
i2s-handle property
b. the i2s bus is supported by the codec; in which case use the
codec-handle property.

Cheers,
g.

--