Device trees and audio codecs

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Tue Oct 23 01:40:17 EST 2007

Jon Smirl wrote:

> I meant an ac97 bus. ac97 is conceptually the same as i2s with the
> control signals also routed over it. ac97 and i2s are handled in the
> same PSC on the 5200.
>
> I have received conflicting opinions as to whether a codec hooked to
> an ac97 bus should get a chip specific codec entry in the device tree.

I think it should.  For one thing, ASoC requires a pointer to a structure in the
codec device driver so that it knows which functions to call to change volume.
What if you have multiple i2s/ac97 devices and multiple codecs?  You'll need to
know which i2s device is connected to which codec.  The only way to distinguish
that is by having a node for the codec under the i2s node.