ppc manual paging question

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Oct 22 16:01:33 EST 2007

> I'm porting an adeos nano kernel named xtratum (http://www.xtratum.org) from
> x86 to ppc, I think I'm near the ending except the above problem. xtratum is
> doing things like xen but it's much simpler (it's aimed for realtime), it
> need provides memory space sperations for it's domains, so I need manually
> paging. Each domain is loaded by a userspace program (instead of the root
> domain as a kernel module), the loader will load the domain's (ELF staticly
> excutable) PT_LOAD section into memory, and then raise a properly system call
> (passing the structurized loaded data as arguments) to load the domain via
> load_domain_sys(), and at the last step of loading the domain, xtratum will
> jump to the entry code of the new domain(asm wrappered start() routine) and
> then everything should be fine. The problem now is as follow:
>
> under my ppc (440GR/440EP) platform, start() is always at 0x100000a0, but I
> guess there is something wrong with my mm code so after the domain is loaded,
> the virt addres 0x100000a0 just point to garbage instead of the right start()
> routine. So how can I setup paging properly so that the virtual memory could
> be translated to proper data?

Are you aware that the 440 MMU doesn't actually know what a page table
is and doesn't load PTEs from memory ?

It's a software loaded TLB, you'll have to put translations in the TLB
yourself. You'll need to design your own data structures for that, tho
you can use a page table for tracking, like we do in linux, and then
have your own TLB miss handler to fill the TLB from that.

Your initial code probably need to bolt a TLB entry for the kernel
itself.

Ben.