embedded a default dtb in the kernel (was merge dtc)

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Sat Oct 20 05:09:39 EST 2007

On 10/19/07, Leisner, Martin <Martin.Leisner at xerox.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to embed a default dtb into the kernel?
> When I build a kernel, I want to embed a dtb into it --
> so I don't have to deal with the headaches of finding the
> right file to match the right board (its always easier to
> deal with 1 file than 2).
>
> If there is, it makes sense to put dtc into the tree.
> If there's not, there should be a way to embed dtb's; and put
> dtc and dts's into the tree.
> If there can't be (I haven't examined this but relaying my
> experiences), then it should be in a separate repository
> (but the DTS and DTC should be in one place).
> It was a little difficult to cobble together a working
> system the first time.
>
> Also, mkimage SHOULD definitely go in the tree.  Its necessary
> to build, hence should be in the tree...

Why?  mkimage is u-boot specific, and hence is maintained by u-boot.
If you're not using u-boot, then you don't need mkimage.  What is
wrong with it being a prereq like all the other tools we use?  If
you're doing embedded development, you're installing non-distribution
cross toolchain anyway.

dtc and mkimage are embedded development tools.  They belong with the
embedded development toolchain.  mkimage is already part of ELDK.

Cheers,
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.