Merge dtc

Milton Miller miltonm at bga.com
Fri Oct 19 15:56:41 EST 2007

On Oct 18, 2007, at 8:45 PM, David Gibson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 09:59:26PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

>> As Milton already pointed out you should build dtc in the
>> dtc directory (why the -src prefix??).
>
> The -src suffix is only there because I'm not building in the
> directory - we can't have both a dtc binary and a dtc directory in
> arch/powerpc/boot.

So run the dtc binary stored in the sub directory.  Thats what we do
elsewhere.

> Ok, so how do I build in the subdirectory?  I was going to do that,
> but couldn't for the life of me figure out how.

Documentation/kbuild/makefiles.txt  6.4 boot images:

         "$(Q)$(MAKE) $(build)=<dir>" is the recommended way to invoke
         make in a subdirectory.

Section 4 Host Program Support is also relavent, and mentions $(always).

>> And the dtc specific Makefile looks like something from
>> the late 80'. Please drop all these ALLUPPERCASE variables
>> and accept a little bit of redundancy.
>
> Hrm... I'm pretty dubious about this.  Practically every Makefile in
> the universe, *except* Kbuild uses uppercase for most variables.
> Makefile.dtc is imported verbatim from the standalone dtc package, and
> is supposed to have the minimal information about what needs to be
> built to import into Makefiles that actually know how to build things.
>
>> Then mere humans may be able to read the Makefile.
>
> Says a maintainer of Kbuild, about my tiny and not-very-complex
> Makefile fragment... um, ok...

overley complex calls to override source, conditional rules based on
shipped files?  Its not a trivial fragment.

milton