mpc52xx bestcomm patches.

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Sat Oct 13 06:30:57 EST 2007

On 10/12/07, Kumar Gala <galak at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2007, at 1:54 PM, Grant Likely wrote:

> >> I'm against this getting merged w/o addressing some of the long
> >> standing comments I've made:
> >>
> >> http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2007-May/036224.html
> >> http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2007-September/042632.html
> >> http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2007-September/042633.html
> >>
> >> Additionally I think ALL new "libraries" like this should come with
> >> kerneldoc.
> >
> > The problem is that bestcomm is completely stalled on Sylvain.  He's
> > done good work, but he isn't able to put in the effort for the last
> > push to get it fixed and in.  But until that happens, nobody else will
> > step in to add patches on top of it to fix it up.
>
> If Sylvain doesn't have the time can't someone else pick up what he's
> done and fixup the issues with it?

As we talked about on IRC, I'm rebasing the patches now and I'll deal
with the minor issues.  There are a couple of developers actively
working on drivers which depend on bestcomm; since they are using it,
they will be able to support it too.

The code is in good shape; is well layed out and coded.  There are
developers actively using this driver in private trees.

However, that leaves the last major issue; documentation.  The
requested documentation has not been written.  However, I do not thing
this device driver should be blocked from merging over this issue.  I
think there is a better chance of it getting documented if it is
merged instead of sitting in Sylvain's queue.

Cheers,
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.