[RFC] PPC64 Exporting memory information through /proc/iomem

KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki kamezawa.hiroyu at jp.fujitsu.com
Wed Oct 3 11:19:54 EST 2007

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 16:10:53 -0700
Badari Pulavarty <pbadari at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > > Otherwise, we need to add arch-specific hooks in hotplug-remove
> > > code to be able to do this.
> >
> > Isn't it just a matter of abstracting the test for a valid range of
> > memory?  If it's really hard to abstract that, then I guess we can put
> > RAM in iomem_resource, but I'd rather not.
> >

> Sure. I will work on it and see how ugly it looks.
>
> KAME, are you okay with abstracting the find_next_system_ram() and
> let arch provide whatever implementation they want ? (since current
> code doesn't work for x86-64 also ?).

Hmm, registering /proc/iomem is complicated ? If too complicated, adding config
like
CONFIG_ARCH_SUPPORT_IORESOURCE_RAM or something can do good work.
you can define your own "check_pages_isolated" (you can rename this to
arch_check_apges_isolated().)

BTW, I shoudl ask people how to describe conventional memory

A. #define IORESOURCE_RAM		IORESOURCE_MEM	(ia64)
B. #define IORESOURCE_RAM		IORESOURCE_MEM | IORESOUCE_BUSY	(i386, x86_64)

Sad to say, memory hot-add registers new memory just as IORESOURCE_MEM.

Thanks,
-Kame