MPC5200 I2C and 2.6 kernel

Oliver Rutsch orutsch at sympatec.com
Thu Nov 29 22:00:16 EST 2007

Hi,

>> hwclock --debug tells me:
>
>> hwclock: Open of /dev/rtc failed, errno=19: No such device.
>
> Well... did you check how your /dev/rtc is set up? It used  to  be  a
> misc  device with MAJ=10 MIN=135 in old kernel versions, but now it's
> MAJ=254 MIN=4, i. e. it should look like this:
>
> crw-r--r-- 1 root root 254,   0 Jun 22 18:30 /dev/rtc

Yes this was not correct in my filesystem. But in your filesystem
it looks like MAJ=254 MIN=0. I set MIN to 0 and applied Jon's
suggestions and now it works! So many thanks to Wolfgang and Jon,
this was really a hard problem for me!
But I should mention that I modified my dts for the M41T00 RTC
in the following way:

	rtc at 68 {
		compatible = "stm,m41t00";
		reg = <68>;
	};

In some piece of an older driver I found the I2C Address for this RTC
(0x68), although the data sheet tells me that the slave address is 0xD0.
However, now it's up and running!

Thanks and bye,

--
Dipl. Ing. Oliver Rutsch