MPC5200 I2C and 2.6 kernel

Oliver Rutsch orutsch at sympatec.com
Tue Nov 27 21:07:11 EST 2007

Hi,

I'm using a TQM5200S (MPC5200B CPU) module on the STK52xx starter kit.
For some reasons I have to use the 2.6 kernel (the latest 2.6.23.1 from
the DENX git archive) with ARCH=powerpc and most of my external hardware
is running fine with this.
On the starter kit there is an external I2C RTC (M41T00) and I like to
use it now. In the 2.4 kernel there were some options regarding MPC5200
I2C, but I could not find them in the 2.6 kernel.
There were options for MPCxxx I2C Algorithm or MPC5xxx TQM5200 I2C
Adapter, for example.
Regardless what I'm doing in the 2.6 kernel configuration I can't get
this RTC running (I activated RTC support and the driver for the M41T00
in the configuration).
hwclock --debug tells me:

hwclock: Open of /dev/rtc failed, errno=19: No such device.
No usable clock interface found.

So the questions is: Is the I2C support for the MPC5200 in the 2.6.23
kernel in an usable state? Or do I need some special patches from TQ for
this board to get it running?

Thanks in advance and bye,

--
Dipl. Ing. Oliver Rutsch