Access to PCI Expansion ROMs on PPC

Robin H. Johnson robbat2 at gentoo.org
Tue Nov 27 04:35:44 EST 2007

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 11:33:00AM -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> Did you check out the cards on x86 and ascertain that they have the
> standard PCI header in them? 55 AA .... All PCI ROMs are supposed to
> have that. If they are missing that the size code in the rom.c isn't
> going to work right.
See my more recent testing summary post to the list, with the message-id
of 20071126085928.GE14557 at curie-int.orbis-terrarum.net
(http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2007-November/046880.html)
The X1900 and Nvidia OF-based cards do not turn up on the x86_64 box at
all (the PCIe root node is entirely missing with them as well), and the
sata_mv claims to not have a ROM, but does otherwise work.

> If these are OF ROM and you are booting on OF firmware, the ROM is
> getting run. In that case it may not be so simple to turn them back on
> if they have been hidden using a proprietary register. That's the
> quirk BenH has referred to.
That's the path that I was investigating with the register stuff via
airlied's avivotool. There was one register he thought about, but it
didn't seem to do much.

I also found some instructions to try and view the ROMs from inside OF,
some I'm going to try that later today, as that will enable seeing if
Linux is changing something critical.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy