Revisited, audio codec device tree entries.

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Tue Nov 20 02:33:12 EST 2007

On 11/19/07, Timur Tabi <timur at freescale.com> wrote:
> Jon Smirl wrote:
>
> > In the ALSA SOC model the i2s, codec and ac97 drivers are all generic.
> > A fabric driver tells specifically how a generic codec is wired into
> > the board. What I haven't been able figure out is how to load the
> > right fabric driver.
>
> Do not use the device tree to load the fabric driver!

Heh, technically you can't use the device tree to load any device
drivers, it's just a data structure.  :-)

You probably mean "don't use the of_platform bus to load the fabric
driver".  He still needs to use the data in the device tree to decide
what fabric drivers to use.  of_platform_bus would be awkward to use
for this because the node describing the fabric doesn't cleanly sit on
any particular bus (ie. it describes the board; it does not describe
the device).

In this case; it probably is appropriate to have the platform code
instantiate a platform_device for the fabric (instead of an
of_platform device) which the fabric driver can bind against.

Another option is to explicitly call of_platform_device_create in the
platform code on the fabric node (which should be a child of the root
node) so that you can have an of_platform_bus fabric driver.

Cheers,
g.