Gianfar ethernet device

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 11:22:18 EST 2007

On 11/11/07, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 18:30 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > Does this patch add the right ifdefs in fsl_soc.c to make these
> > drivers build on their proper platforms? As an experiment I have
> > disabled platform bus on the mpc5200 and I'm only using of_platform
> > bus. Turning off platform bus is exposing a lot of code that is
> > getting built into my mpc5200 kernel that is supporting devices not
> > available on the platform.
> >
> > A few more fixups in some other drivers and I should have mpc5200
> > working without platform bus.
>
> That sort of per-platform ifdefs is just WRONG.
>
> On the other hand, if you feel that such common code deserves not being
> built on all platforms, then what you can do is define a Kconfig option,
> such as CONFIG_PPC_CAN_HAVE_GIANFAR, that gets select'ed by the
> platforms that can have a Gianfar and use -that- for the ifdef.

The real solution is that gianfar support belongs in a device driver,
not in a common file. That whole fsl_soc.c file is a catch-all of
things that belong in device drivers. I haven't looked at every line
in it, but 90%+ of the code should be moved into device drivers.

I'm preparing a patch that moves the i2c driver out of fsl_soc.c and
into i2c_mpc.c.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com