Refactor booting-without-of.txt

Yoder Stuart-B08248 stuart.yoder at freescale.com
Thu Nov 1 02:44:36 EST 2007

I agree in principle with what your are proposing.

One other thing to consider-- as has been publicly
announced in several forums, a committee in power.org
(including several folks on this thread) is working
on a standard called the ePAPR which in general is
attempting to standardize the base set of requirements
and boot conventions that apply to the flat device tree.
There will not be much device specific stuff to
start with.

The ePAPR document is actually quite far a long
and is well beyond the 'idea' stage.

The one point is that we hope that the device tree
with be useful for other embedded OSes beyond Linux.
So long term, I think this documentation should
be pulled out of the kernel source and put
on a public wiki that is not tied directly to Linux.
What you are proposing is a good start...

Stuart