Fix problems with Holly's DT representation of ethernet PHYs

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Wed May 30 21:36:49 EST 2007

> We're adding these compatible properties to DTS files and the drivers
> at
> the same time.  Unless (until?) there are firmwares for these boards
> that start specifying something else in a real device tree, it really
> doesn't matter much.

Sure.  So you have time to work out things now, I
suggest you take advantage of that :-)

> Not that there's anything wrong with your
> reasoning.  Just seems like we're trying really hard to define
> something
> "correctly" when we control what's on both sides :).

Right now, and in your case, you do.  OTOH, the
goal is to have the DTS be a well-established
stable interface between the firmware/bootloader/
bootwrapper and the kernel; there is no room for
either side of that interface playing dirty tricks,
not on any board ;-)

Also, the DTS files in the kernel source tree should
server as a best-of-breed example for people doing
custom device trees for their own boards.  We better
whip them into good shape or we'll all look foolish...

Segher