Porting "prep" from ppc to powerpc.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed May 30 07:02:54 EST 2007

On Monday 28 May 2007 3:55 am, Gabriel Paubert wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 10:38:39PM -0400, Rob Landley wrote:
> > Is anyone already doing this?
>
> I'm interested but I don't have the time right now.

I'm interested but don't have the expertise.

I don't have prep documentation, I'm not familiar with the internals of the
powerpc architecture (beyond the endianness/word size/alignment checklist for
porting userspace programs from arch to arch), I know just enough about Open
Firmware to really dislike it, and I don't actually have prep hardware.  I do
have qemu, but it doesn't actually work even with the old ARCH=ppc prep
kernels.  It segfaults trying to decompress them.

I was hoping to use a prep kernel to debug qemu, but my build system (which
already builds several other architecutres from the same script) can't do
ARCH=ppc because that doesn't understand "make headers_install", so I have to
build them by hand supplying different architectures at different steps of
the process.  Which puts it waaaaay down on my todo list.

Fixing the Linux build system to actually work for prep would be nice, but it
sounds like teaching ARCH=ppc to do "make headers install" would be a couple
orders of magnitude easier...

Rob