TSI ethernet PHY question

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Fri May 25 12:00:59 EST 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 01:54:35AM +0200, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > For powerpc, I have a solution at hand, it's the device-tree :-)
> >
> > Any struct device in the system can have a device node pointer via the
> > dev_sysdata thingy I added recently. So we can have some code for
> > powerpc that properly hooks up the PHY to an (optional) device-node
> > which can then contains properties describing what kind of workarounds
> > need to be applied.
> >
> > For example, we can have a txc-rxc-delay-disable property on Holly.
>
> This is equivalent to the ethernet driver passing this information
> to phylib via the init arguments.
>
> You still have the same problems as Andy described where the
> necessary workaround is not something local to phylib, but
> needs cooperation of the ethernet code or the soc code or
> some other platform code.
>
> Since the specific bug we're talking about here is not a
> problem with the PHY, but a miswiring on the board, I wouldn't
> put a flag for the workaround in the phy node in the device
> tree.  It certainly is an option though.

Uh.. something to bear in mind is that although it is a board
miswiring, it's of a type that it will plausibly occur in other
boards.  IIRC, if a LED is attached to this PHY the workaround is
necessary, or something similar.  So there is value in having a
particular flag for this rather than just looking at the board model.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson