Xilinx git tree at source.mvista.com

David H. Lynch Jr. dhlii at dlasys.net
Fri May 25 10:47:34 EST 2007

Andrei Konovalov wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> David H. Lynch Jr. wrote:
>>>
>> I have an almost working FIFO TEMAC driver. It is similarly based.
>> it started out based on the Trek webserver sample
>
> Is this a reference design by Xilinx? Linux based or standalone?
    I did a Local Link hard TEMAC driver - that I eventually got
working. However, I could not find anyway to
    enable interrupts in the Local Link TEMAC so the driver was strictly
polled and between that and other
    issues, perfomances was abysmal almost 50% of all inbound packets
were dropped, we switched to the
    PLB FIFO TEMAC I stripped out all the SG and DMA stuff (as it is not
in our hardware) and converted it to
    a fairly normal Linux ethernet driver. It sends, it receives, but I
beleive it is not properly confirming to Linux
    that packets were successfully sent.

    In the interim I have been using the posted driver that uses the EDK.
    Until more recently that has lacked features like
    autonegotiation.

    I beleive its current flaw is primarily massive violations of kernel
code style guidelines.

>> I spent probably 3-4 days de-EDKing it into something that fit into a
>> single source and was closer to ko norms.
>> It is based on approximately the EDK 8.1 stuff. You are welcome to it,
>> if it could be helpful in anyway.
>> I am all for getting an acceptable driver into the ko tree.
>
> You could post your driver to the list when you think it is in good
> enough shape.
> If your driver is based on the linux TEMAC driver from EDK, it shouldn't
> be very different from my version (my added value is mostly replacing the
> custom PHY code with the PHY lib stuff). Then we could merge our
> drivers (or
> whatever would make sense).
>
> I would be interested to have a look at your current code just to see
> how much has it cost to "de-EDK" the FIFO part. You could email me
> your (even not quite working) driver privately if you want.

    I will email you a copy separately. I do not care what you choose to
do with it.
    At the moment I have no time to take it further - something about
asses, alligators
    and clearing swamps.

    Mostly I would just like to see a Linux friendly driver make its way
into the kernel.

    I have almost exactly the same code working as a GHS integrity driver.
    In fact I sort of ported a mini shim layer to GHS to implement Linux
SKB's under GHS.
    I did trip over something with GHS. If I was able to 64bit align the
data part of the skb
    the send/receive code code be vastly simplified.
    I have not but I have not done that yet.

--
Dave Lynch 					  	    DLA Systems
Software Development:  				         Embedded Linux

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Albert Einstein