fsl booke MM vs. SMP questions

Dave Liu r63238 at freescale.com
Mon May 21 21:37:28 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 20:08 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 17:57 +0800, Dave Liu wrote:
>
> > > If not, you might have to use a _PAGE_BUSY bit similar to what 64 bits
> > > uses as a per-PTE lock, or use mmu_hash_lock... Unless you come up with
> > > a great idea or some HW black magic that makes the problem go away...
> >
> > I would like the _PAGE_BUSY bit for a per-PTE lock, it will have better
> > performance benifit than global lock. The BookE architecutre doesn't use
> > the hardware hash table, so can not use the mmu_hash_lock, which is
> > global lock for hashtable.
>
> (BTW. Did you remove the list CC on purpose ? If not, then please add it
> back on your reply and make sure my reply is fully visible :-)

Sorry for that, It is wrong to click the mouse.

> Still.. having to use a lwarx/stwcx. loop in the TLB refill handler is a
> sad story don't you think ? I don't know for you guys but on the cpus I
> know, those take hundres of cycles....

It is true, I know that.

> I've come up with an idea (thanks wli for tipping me off) that's
> inspired from RCU instead:
>
> We have a per-cpu flag called tlbbusy
>
> The tlb miss handler does:
>
>  - tlbbusy = 1
>  - barrier (make sure the following read is in order vs. the previous
> store to tlbbusy)
>  - read linux PTE value
>  - write it to the HW TLB

and write the linux PTE with referenced bit?

>  - appropriate sync
>  - tlbbusy = 0
>
> Now, the tlb invalidation code (which can use a batch to be even more
> efficient, see how 64 bits or x86 use batching for TLB invalidations)
> can then use the fact that the mm carries a cpu bitmask of all CPUs that
> ever touched that mm and thus can do, after a PTE has changed and before
> broadcasting an invalidation:

How to interlock this PTE change with the PTE change of tlb miss?

>  - make a local copy "mask" of the mm->cpu_vm_mask
>  - clear bit for the current cpu from the mask
>  - while there is still a bit in the mask
>  - for each bit in the mask, check if tlbbusy for that cpu is 0
>    -> if 0, clear the bit in the mask
>  - loop until there's nop more bit in the mask
>  - perform the tlbivax

It looks like good idea, but what is the bad things with the batch
invalidation?

> In addition, if you have a "local" version of tlbivax (no broadcast),
> you can do a nice optimisation if after step 2 (clear bit for the
> current cpu) the mask is already 0 (that means the mm only ever existed
> on the local cpu), in which case you can do a local tlbivax and return.

The BookE has the "local" version of tlbivax with the tlbwe inst. Yes,
It actually can reduce the bus traffic.