Slab allocators: Define common size limitations

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com
Wed May 16 16:58:39 EST 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> So define a common maximum size for kmalloc. For conveniences sake
> we use the maximum size ever supported which is 32 MB. We limit the maximum
> size to a lower limit if MAX_ORDER does not allow such large allocations.

What are the changes a large allocation will actually succeed?
Is there an alignment rule for large allocations?

E.g. for one of the PS3 drivers I need a physically contiguous 256 KiB-aligned
block of 256 KiB. Currently I'm using __alloc_bootmem() for that, but maybe
kmalloc() becomes a suitable alternative now?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Sony Network and Software Technology Center Europe (NSCE)
Geert.Uytterhoeven at sonycom.com ------- The Corporate Village, Da Vincilaan 7-D1