arch/powerpc/sysdev: dumping ground or only for shared drivers?

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Fri May 11 08:06:48 EST 2007

On May 10, 2007, at 4:57 PM, Olof Johansson wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 01:02:37PM -0700, Mark A. Greer wrote:
>> This is the latest and hopefully last round of patches for adding
>> mv64x60
>> and prpmc2800 support to arch/powerpc.  It would be great if this
>> could
>> still get into 2.6.22.
>
> I know Mark wants this merged, and I'm not looking to hold that off,
> however the following came up on IRC and I wanted to move it over here
> for clarification/list archiving of the answers:
>

> This adds yet another set of chipset drivers under sysdev, that are
> only used by one platform (several board ports under that platform,
> but only one platforms/* directory).
>
> In my opinion, they really should go under the platform directory
> instead,
> and not clutter the shared directory.
>
> Same with tsi*, it should probably be moved, as well as the 8xx*
> drivers. fsl_* seems to be shared, so does cpm2*.
>
> embedded6xx has a handful of different chipsets, so it could make
> sense
> to create a subdir under platforms/embedded6xx for chipset support,
> but there's no need to keep them in sysdev.
>

> Or is sysdev really supposed to be a dumping ground for all chipset
> drivers, even those who are not shared between platforms?
>
> If not, I'll be happy to bake up a patch that moves things out (unless
> the platform maintainers want to do it themselves) for 2.6.23.

Here's a breakdown of what's in sysdev today (or about to be) and my
take on its categorization:

8xx:
commproc.c
micropatch.c
mpc8xx_pic.c
mpc8xx_pic.h

embedded6xx:
grackle.c
tsi108_dev.c
tsi108_pci.c
(soon to be added mv64x60)

83xx:
ipic.c
ipic.h

shared:
cpm2_common.c
cpm2_pic.c
cpm2_pic.h
dart.h
dart_iommu.c
dcr.c
dcr-low.S
fsl_pcie.c
fsl_pcie.h
fsl_soc.c
fsl_soc.h
i8259.c
indirect_pci.c
mmio_nvram.c
mpic.c
mpic.h
mpic_msi.c
mpic_u3msi.c
qe_lib/
timer.c
uic.c

unknown:
pmi.c	(should this be in drivers somewhere?)

- k