Correct location for ADC/DAC drivers

Bodo Eggert 7eggert at gmx.de
Sun May 6 22:19:59 EST 2007

Robin Getz <rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org> wrote:
> On Fri 4 May 2007 16:52, Robert Schwebel pondered:
>> On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 02:21:50PM -0400, Robin Getz wrote:

>> > We also have DAC and ADC drivers (up to 16 bits @ 64MS/s, via DMA),
>> > that would be nice to put in the "right" place  - I don't think that
>> > drivers/char is the right place, nor drivers/misc - I also don't think
>> > that /adc is a descriptive place for DAC or mixed signal front ends
>> > (MxFE).
>>
>> What userspace interface do your drivers have?
>
> Right now, it is a little rudimentary char interface, it needs a little care
> to be a bit more general purpose, but it suited needs of what the people who
> were using it.

[...]

> I would be interested in having a detailed discussion/random thoughts on
> this - what is the best way to expose these types of devices?

Since you ask for random thoughts:

IO of data streams from or to a DAC/ADC is essentially what soundcards do.
I'm wondering if these cards are similar enough to use alsa, and if using
that interface would ease or hinder programming the driver.
--
Top 100 things you don't want the sysadmin to say:
76. I have never seen it do *that* before...

Friß, Spammer: BZmk0Kx63V at ld7M4m.7eggert.dyndns.org