Correct location for ADC/DAC drivers

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Sat May 5 04:21:50 EST 2007

On Fri 4 May 2007 04:54, Stefan Roese pondered:
> On Friday 04 May 2007 10:24, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> > On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 02:35:44PM +0200, Stefan Roese wrote:
> > > I'm in the stage of integrating some ADC and DAC drivers for the AMCC
> > > 405EZ PPC and looking for the correct location to place these drivers
> > > in the Linux source tree. The drivers are basically character-drivers,
> > > so my first thought is to put them in "drivers/char/adc/foo.c" or
> > > "drivers/char/adc_foo.c". Is this a good solution?
> > >
> > > Any suggestions welcome (could be that I missed an already existing
> > > example).
> > >
> > > BTW: I am aware of the hwmon subsystem, but I don't think it fits my
> > > needs in this case.
> >
> > Could you elaborate the requirements a bit more? ADC is not ADC, because
> > slow i2c ADCs which measure a temperature every five minutes have other
> > requirements than multi-megabyte-per-second-dma-driven ADCs.
>
> The hardware (PPC405EZ) actually implements an high speed, dma capable, ADC
> controller with 10-bit resolution and up to 4MHz sample rate. The current
> driver doesn't support all these features though (dma is not supported
> right now for example). Could be that this will be added in future
> releases. It would be good though, to have the driver located at the
> "correct" place in the kernel tree right away.

We also have DAC and ADC drivers (up to 16 bits @ 64MS/s, via DMA), that would
be nice to put in the "right" place  - I don't think that drivers/char is the
right place, nor drivers/misc - I also don't think that /adc is a descriptive
place for DAC or mixed signal front ends (MxFE).

What about /drivers/char/daq or just drivers/daq - drivers for
non-PCI/USB/ISA/PCMCIA Data Acquisition Hardware, D/A and A/D converters,
Analog Front ends, etc.

I think that is the common TLA - at least according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_acquisition

?

-Robin