powerpc_flash_init(), wtf!?

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri May 4 07:44:33 EST 2007

>     UARTs should be registered as of_device by the same bus probing mechanism
> (and there was an attempt at OF based driver, IIRC).

There is more than an "attempt". There is one and it works :-)

> arch/powerpc/kernel/legacy_serial.c only facilitates the old, platform device
> based approach.

This is a compromise for legacy port (ok, it did grow a bit beyond
legacy stuff but still...) mostly to allow for very early initialisation
of serial ports.

Ultimately, if we generalize of_platform_devices for serial ports,
however, we will not need to create platform devices there anymore.

Ben.