powerpc_flash_init(), wtf!?

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Fri May 4 04:07:27 EST 2007

>>     Yeah, you're right here, and I've probably misunderstood what
>> "memory" node was. In fact, the flash in my system resides on the
>> same local bus as RAM, so the proper place would be behind the "lbc"
>> (or whatever -- it doesn't exist as yet) node on the "soc" bus.  Do
>> you think I need to go and document it as well for such cause? :-]
>
>    No, that probably won't do. MPC85xx SoC bus has ranges = <e0000000
> 00100000> and the NOR flash is mapped at 0xff000000, so it seems that
> it can't be located under the "soc" bus (unless that latter has
> "ranges" prop extended?).

If the RAM and/or ROM sit on the SoC bus, the "ranges"
property in the SoC node should be able to translate
their addresses, yes.  You could opt for having the
memory controller a separate device node, as a sibling
of the "soc" node, if that agrees better with your
SoC architecture.  "It all depends".

Segher