more bogomips :)

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Sun Mar 25 18:26:07 EST 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-24 at 16:48 +0000, Christian Kujau wrote:

> -bogomips       : 36.73

This value was retrieved when your CPU was set to the lower speed by cpu
freq.

> +bogomips       : 73.47

And that when it was at the higher speed.

> It seems that with a more recent kernel, bogomips have doubled (both
> with CONFIG_HZ=1000, if this matters). How comes?

They've always switched between those values afaik.

Interesting. This does raise the question of whether it's the right
thing to do, and it looks like a bug to me. The cpufreq core code scales
the loops per jiffy simply by the clock frequency difference which
(since we boot with slow frequency at least on my powerbook) means that
all our delays get to be twice as long during clocked-up operation
because the timebase doesn't change with cpufreq.

johannes