hibernate, suspend and s2both support

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Mon Mar 19 11:09:43 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-18 at 23:46 +0100, Tim Dijkstra wrote:

> So maybe the safest algorithm would be
> - If /dev/pmu exists
> 	- Check PMU_IOC_CAN_SLEEP
> 		- Yes -> suspend
> 		- No -> Fail (maybe prevents a crash when we would have tried 'echo mem')

That's only when it returns 0/1, when calling it returns an error you
need to assume (for suspend) that /dev/pmu doesn't exist. If I can get
my plan through to deprecate both of the ioctls, that is.

> > have tested the 'platform' powerdown method for suspend to disk support
> > in the kernel and that killed the machine due to a yet unidentified
> > problem.
>
> I think this is a know problem, at least it happens on more machines.
> Will have to ask for the details.

You can't even try to do it on powerpc right now afaik, and I am sure
that you can't do it after my patches. So you can't do anything wrong
either, though I'm still trying to figure out what I need to do to be
able to allow it.

johannes