[dtc] Add support for flat device tree format version 17

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Thu Mar 15 08:41:57 EST 2007

Jerry Van Baren wrote:

> The best solution, which I'm making progress on but slowly, is to pull
> David Gibson's libfdt utilities into u-boot and use them to manipulate
> the tree.  I very much want v17 blobs because that removes my
> "write-in-place" restrictions on changing the properties.

Here's an alternative idea I got from a colleage (Scott Wood).

Allow U-Boot to accept V17 DTBs.  When it modifies the DTB, it should change the version
to 16, since that's the only version that it really knows.  U-Boot currently does not have
the infrastructure to support multiple DTB versions.

The DTB that U-Boot passes to the kernel will say V16, but it will have the extra length
field in the header.  Therefore, we need to update the documentation to say that
compatibility implies that any DTB will still be able to read the DTB if the DTB version
number has been changed to another compatible version.  So if your DTB is V17, and it has
V17 data, any code that assumes a V16 DTB should still be able to read it.  That seems
obvious, but is should be documented.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux Kernel Developer @ Freescale