/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/online are missing

Russell King rmk+lkml at arm.linux.org.uk
Tue Mar 13 20:40:39 EST 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 10:11:59AM +0100, Heiko Carstens wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 10:03:50AM +0100, Heiko Carstens wrote:

> > > See arch/powerpc/kernel/sysfs.c:topology_init.  I don't think there is
> > > anything to do here.  You probably don't have CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU enabled.
> >
> > I was referring to arch/ppc not arch/powerpc. But it seems that arch/ppc
> > doesn't support cpu hotplug anyway. So I guess it's indeed just a missing
> > config option.
> >
> > Grepping a bit further shows that arm suffered by the change that inverted
> > the logic if the 'online' attribute for cpus should appear. Since arm
> > supports cpu hotplug but the patch left arm out, it doesn't work there
> > anymore (cc'ing arm people: changeset 72486f1f8f0a2bc828b9d30cf4690cf2dd6807fc
> > is most probably disabling cpu hotplug support on arm like it did on s390).
>
> Should have cc'ed Suresh Siddha who caused the breakage ;)

Welcome to why cleanups are bad news. ;(  Yes, ARM also needs to be fixed
and I'd ask that in future people doing cleanups in core code take a little
more time to review the code before submitting patches *AND* give heads-up
to *EVERYONE* who might be affected by the change.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of: