/proc/meminfo shows strange values

ganesh subramonian gun_raj at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 8 17:55:43 EST 2007

hi

we are using linuxppc-2.4.20 on one of our embedded systems..we are monitoring the resource usage in the system with a daemon that reads /proc/meminfo every minute...at some points it shows all the parameters memfree,memcached, buffers all as zero...

we are reading the information from second line of /proc/meminfo...in  another instance it seems that all these parameters are returned in kilobytes rather in bytes..but in fs/proc/proc_misc.c all these parameters are left shifted by 12 before printing...

is the memory low problem for real?? can some application memory leak lead to this situation??

or is the kernel showing incorrect values in meminfo??

thanks

ganesh