current-speed property in serial devices causes kernel panic

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Sat Jun 30 14:26:11 EST 2007

I see this code in function of_platform_serial_setup():

static int __devinit of_platform_serial_setup(struct of_device *ofdev,
                                        int type, struct uart_port *port)
{
        struct resource resource;
        struct device_node *np = ofdev->node;
        const unsigned int *clk, *spd;
        int ret;

        memset(port, 0, sizeof *port);
        spd = of_get_property(np, "current-speed", NULL);
        port->custom_divisor = *clk / (16 * (*spd));

        return 0;
}

There is no check in this code to make sure spd is not null.  And sure enough, in most DTS files, current-speed does not exist.  So whenever this function is called on a node like this, the kernel panics.

I'm adding support for a new 86xx platform, and I'm also creating a driver for a new SOC device.  In my platform driver, I have this code:

static struct of_device_id mpc86xx_ids[] = {
        { .type = "soc", },
        {}
};

static int __init mpc86xx_declare_of_platform_devices(void)
{
        printk(KERN_ALERT "%s\n", __FUNCTION__);

        if (!machine_is(mpc86xx_hpcn))
                return 0;

        of_platform_bus_probe(NULL, mpc86xx_ids, NULL);

        return 0;
}
device_initcall(mpc86xx_declare_of_platform_devices);

The kernel panic occurs only if I call of_platform_bus_probe().

If you look at the code for the 836x platform, you'll see that it also has serial SOC devices and it also calls of_platform_bus_probe(), but it doesn't experience kernel panics.

Is the call to of_platform_bus_probe() effectively trying to probe the serial devices twice?  I just don't understand why this code isn't working.