PCI IO range limitation

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Sat Jun 30 03:08:50 EST 2007

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 00:38 +0100, Matt Sealey wrote:
>> Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

>>> We just fixed that for 64 bits but 32 bits still has the limitation.
>>> Note that it's not a very good idea to have your IO range at !0 if
>>> you're going to use anything ISA-like, such as a VGA video card or other
>>> legacy devices behind a PCI southbridge or SuperIO.
>> The chances of that on an MPC52xx platform are practically zero, aren't
>> they?
>
> Euh... don't you use VGA video cards on Efika ? :-)

Define "legacy device"? What should that entail? You mean like mapping
most of those registers to the first couple of kilobytes of "IO"?

If they're just left as their own on their own as PCI devices, why would
it matter what the window was?

--
Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations