Please pull from 'for_paulus' branch

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Fri Jun 29 23:45:53 EST 2007

On Friday 29 June 2007, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> It turns out that with Arnd's patches we now get "-mcpu=powerpc64" on
> the command line, and that means that gcc *doesn't* put "-mppc64" the
> as command line, and as barfs on the 64-bit instructions.  That's
> presumably a gcc bug, but we'll have to work around it.  I think the
> best thing is just to not put the -mcpu=powerpc64 in CFLAGS when no
> specific CPU is selected.

I can't reproduce the problem here unfortunately. My idea was to always
pass _some_ -mcpu= flag, in order to make sure it does not use
an inappropriate default, e.g. when the compiler is built for a default
for power4 but you actually want to build a power3 kernel.

Would it work reliably if we switch the arguments to
'-mcpu=powerpc64 -m64' instead of '-m64 -mcpu=powerpc64'? That
might be better than taking it out entirely.

	Arnd <><