udbg_16550.c and legacy_serial.c

Milton Miller miltonm at bga.com
Wed Jun 27 21:29:26 EST 2007

On Jun 27, 2007, at 6:22 AM, Milton Miller wrote:
> (4) Adding a 5th udbg_putc method that calls a byte read to
> udbg_comport->lsr masked with THRE until 0 and performs a byte write
> to ->thr shows we have the wrong abstraction.   Please make the
> inb/outb a method with the comport.  It would seem the actual init_xx
> could be in the platforms, passing inb, outb, and comport to a helper
> in udbg_16550.c.   I'm fine with declaring all the early inits in
> udbg.h

I'll repost that with a different subject in case someone else wants to
work on that.

Also, while researching this, I found that check_legacy_serial_console
has a check for legacy_serial_console < 0 in it.  Since that is set to
the legacy_ports array we pass to the serial layer, it would seem all
the other parsing to find the console is redundant; we can get the np
that we already found.   However, it also means that the code to notice
the stdout path is ch-a or ch-b will never be executed because of that
check.

The comment about stdout being a wierd phandle should read
"/chosen/stdout is a ihandle.  use linux,stdout-path instead".

no patch at this hour.

milton