Follow up on 4 Gig of DDR on MPC8548E

Morrison, Tom tmorrison at empirix.com
Tue Jun 26 21:11:39 EST 2007

>> apparently after more investigations - it looks like there is something in the ext2 driver code
>> that is mal-adjusted....I haven't talked to the guy today who was looking at that - but the ext2
>> driver code that was openning a 'virtual file' / console - had some problems mapping that
>> space - again, my gut is telling me more stronger there is a problem with signed/unsigned...
>> now deeper in the ext2 code...

> I very much doubt there is a signed/unsigned issue in ext2 or elsewhere...
>
> You have CONFIG_HIGHMEM ? What are your setting for KERNELBASE and PAGE_OFFSET ?

Ben,

I am sorry it I alluded to ext2 code itself having a signed/unsigned problem -
just that the problem was manifesting itself inside the ext2 code in a very
strange way ...with something that I guessed below it that was violating
a signed/unsigned API....

and I was wrong with this hunch (gotta check my hunch meter)...
It was a nuance in the configuration of inbound windows for PCI/PEX
that was dribbling onto the memory that was consistently being i/o mapped
to the ext2 driver - which then got confused and bailed completely.

We now have it working as we want it to with all 4 GIG of
DDR working as we want it.

Thank you for pushing us to push through the hunch and get to the
root cause. It was a tough one to find.

Tom