Follow up on 4 Gig of DDR on MPC8548E

Morrison, Tom tmorrison at empirix.com
Tue Jun 26 09:12:07 EST 2007

>> 0x0000_0000 to 0xffff_ffff or do you have 64GB of mem...

4 GIG DDR Memory...that we say...there is 3 GIG for the moment...

the LAW's are  setup in priority order - thus, if you have overlapping
regions (aka: PCI & DDR memory) the one with the lower #'d LAW
is the one it is mapped to....

>> If you have all physical mem in the first 32bit, where are your PCI
>> windows set?
>> And in modst cases the PCI devices (if they are bus-mastring ) need 1-1
>> inbound mapping to be able to write to memory.

you can use the LAW's to remap anything to anywhere...
see above for priority - but in our case, we are mapping
the PCI/PEX/Local Bus to the last 4 GIG at a higher
priority LAW than the DDR...that is what the MPC8548
spec says how it works...and it does - if you don't tell
the kernel there is more than 2GIG (and ioremap that last
GIG to access the full 'other' 2 GIG...

that is not the issue here....

apparently after more investigations - it looks like there is something in the ext2 driver code
that is mal-adjusted....I haven't talked to the guy today who was looking at that - but the ext2
driver code that was openning a 'virtual file' / console - had some problems mapping that
space - again, my gut is telling me more stronger there is a problem with signed/unsigned...
now deeper in the ext2 code...

Am at the Freescale Technical Forum the next few days - if any of you guys
are down here in Florida...I am intending to track down a few freescale folk
on this issue...:-)

Tom