[RFC/PATCH] powerpc: MPC7450 L2 HW cache flush feature utilization

Vladislav Buzov vbuzov at ru.mvista.com
Tue Jun 26 05:00:16 EST 2007

Segher Boessenkool wrote:

>> I read the MPC7450 reference manual and it describes a method to flush
>> the cache using L2 hardware flushing feature. The cache flushing
>> procedure consist of several steps and some of them are dictated by
>> MPC7448 errata (www.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/errata/MPC7448CE.pdf,
>> Erratum no.3).
>

> Are these errata 7448-only?  If not, I wonder what is
> done on PowerMacs?
>
>> First, I'm looking for a help and advice why the current _set_L2CR()
>> implementation may not work for MPC7450 (namely 7448 with 1Mb L2 cache
>> installed). Is it a bug in _set_L2CR()  or a hardware problem.
>

> I think that if anyone here could answer this straight
> away, the source code would have been fixed already ;-)

I think I can try to answer this question. Please, look through my
thoughts below and correct me if I'm somewhere wrong.

The current scheme of flushing the caches is based on a number of
consecutive lwz/dcbf instructions. A contiguous memory region (started
from zero) is read by series of lwz commands and then cache is flushed
using a sequence of dcbf instructions with addresses from this memory
range. If I understand correctly, to get this approach working it is
required to guarantee that after reading the memory region, each line in
a cache should be used and keep data from this region. Otherwise, if
some cache lines keep data from another address range they will not be
flushed by the dcbf instructions sequence.

Further, how cache lines are utilized is dictated by a cache lines
replacement policy. I didn't go in to details deeply, but on MPC7450 L1
cache lines replacement policy seems to  satisfy the requirement above.
At least the MPC7450 reference manual describes L1 cache flushing
algorithm based on a sequence of lwz/dcbf instructions.

But regarding to L2/L3 caches, the manual describes two different cache
line replacement policies. And the both are pseudo-random and differ by
implementation of random number generator. It means that a cache line in
a set is chosen randomly, and that, in turn, means that there is a
probability that some cache lines are not used during reading of the
contiguous memory region and not flushed by the dcbf instruction sequence.

For example, on MPC7448 there is a eight-way set-associative 1Mb L2
cache that consist of 2048 sets x 8 ways per set. And even if a set N
has been accessed M times (M > 8) there is a chance that some cache line
is set N has never been used, but another line has been used twice or
more. Of course, the probability of such situation decreases with
increasing of N.

Current _set_L2CR() implementation reads first 4Mb of memory to flush
the L2 cache. I have increased this size up to 16 Mb and now things work
fine. But I don't think that is a right way to fix the problem because
there is no any way to define the upper limit of memory size to
guarantee flushing of each cache line. 16Mb is too large though. It
seems more reasonable to use a stable and guaranteed way to flush the
cache implemented in hardware.

Vlad.