[RFC] Device tree for new desktop platform in arch/powerpc

Gerhard Pircher gerhard_pircher at gmx.net
Tue Jun 19 19:52:51 EST 2007

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:14:44 +0200
Von: Segher Boessenkool <segher at kernel.crashing.org>
An: "Gerhard Pircher" <gerhard_pircher at gmx.net>
CC: linuxppc-dev at ozlabs.org, David Gibson <david at gibson.dropbear.id.au>
Betreff: Re: [RFC] Device tree for new desktop platform in arch/powerpc

> "pnpPNP,501" says that the device is a 16550A-compatible
> UART compatible with how that is used in a PC (using the
> same base clock, and some other minor things).
>
> "ns16550" simply says the device is compatible with
> the NS16550.  Also note the lack of "A".
I guess I can define both of them or do they conflict (IIRC
the two hardware revision should be compatible)?

> >> Is there a device binding defined somewhere for "chrp,iic"?
> > Dunno. :-) It's based on these document here:
> > http://playground.sun.com/1275/bindings/devices/html/isa-pic-1_1d.html
> > http://playground.sun.com/1275/bindings/pci/pci2_1.pdf
>
> How does PCI come into the picture here?
I just added it, because it defines how the interrupts property
should be specfied.

> Sure.  There typically is a device node for every
> (addressable) device on the system.  There is no
> defined binding for timer devices though, so there
> shouldn't be a "device_type" in a timer node.
Okay, I'll remove the device_type property.

> Since this is an AT timer, you should use "compatible"
> = "pnpPNP,100", and the clock frequency is implicit.
Where are all this "pnpPNP,xxx" identifiers specified (except
for serial parallel, fdc, keyboard, mouse)?

Ah yes, I may have forgotten the "@0" by mistake.

> The linux floppy driver will do its own probing, so no
> it won't care. Can't hurt to include it though.
That was my intention.

Gerhard