[RFC] Device tree for new desktop platform in arch/powerpc

Gerhard Pircher gerhard_pircher at gmx.net
Tue Jun 19 04:57:15 EST 2007

Hi,

I'm working on support for the AmigaOne and started to write a device tree source file for use with the cuboot bootwrapper. Additionally to the booting-without-of.txt document and other dts files I found some OpenFirmware related documents on http://playground.sun.com/1275/ and tried to follow their guidelines. Note that I didn't try to compile the dts file yet, as it is not yet complete.

Some questions arose during the implementation, which I hope some of you can answer:

1. The AmigaOne makes use of different G3 (750Cx, 750GL, 750GX) and G4 (7400, 7450, 7455, 7457) CPUs. The current dts file defines a cpu node with the name "PowerPC,7xxx at 0" and the bootwrapper just fills in the cpu-, bus- and timebase frequencies. Is this the recommended way, or should the bootwrapper create a fresh cpu node with the correct name of the CPU (e.g. "PowerPC,7455@ 0" - I guess this would require a table with all PVR values and their corresponding CPU name. Or is there a function in the kernel that do this?).

2. I tried to define all ISA devices, which are integrated in the southbridge (VT82C686B). Currently these are child nodes of the device tree root. Should they be child nodes of the southbridge's PCI-to-ISA device node? If so, where should I specify the register address ranges (reg property)? In the PCI device node or in the ISA device nodes, as it is now?

3. The dts files define the device_type of a serial port as "serial", whereas the OF spec says "pnpPNP,501". What's the difference between the two?

4. I couldn't find any information for a device tree representation of the i8259 interrupt controller in the booting-without-of.txt file. Is my implementation correct (inspired by the OF documents)?

I would be grateful, if you could take a look at my dts file and comment on every line that doesn't meet your views.

Thanks in advance!

regards,

Gerhard