[patch 1/6] ps3: Preallocate bootmem memory for the PS3 FLASH

Milton Miller miltonm at bga.com
Tue Jun 19 02:25:30 EST 2007

On Fri Jun 15 23:32:41 EST 2007, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>> On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 13:39 +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>>> Preallocate 256 KiB of bootmem memory for the PS3 FLASH ROM storage
>>> driver.
>>
>> I still very much dislike the #ifdef xxx_MODULE in main kernel code.
>
> Me too, but there's no other reliable way to allocate it after boot
> up...
>
>> At the end of the day, is it realistic to ever use a PS3 without the
>> storage driver ? I would suggest just allocating those
>> unconditionally.
>
> If you don't plan to (a) boot into GameOS or (b) update the kboot
> kernel, then the answer is: yes, you can live without the FLASH ROM
> driver, and save one promille of RAM.

In that case, why not make it an early_param, and only change the
default based on the config varables?   It sounds like I might want to
reclaim this memory even if I compiled in the driver.

Statement (a) is because one has to write the flag to say don't' boot
OtherOS to go back to GameOS (or reset all defaults) I presume.

milton