[patch 4/6] ps3: Disk Storage Driver

David Miller davem at davemloft.net
Sat Jun 16 09:08:58 EST 2007

From: James Bottomley <James.Bottomley at SteelEye.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:40:42 -0700

> On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 14:19 -0700, David Miller wrote:
> > Another quirk I have to deal with is that under LDOMs you
> > can export full disks and also just slices.  So I'll have
> > to get down into the partition machinery to support that
> > somehow.
>
> For this, it sounds like you might find nbd a more enticing
> proposition ... it already is partition independent and is basically a
> block to net socket exporter.

That's not gonna work, it's a totally different model.

I have a predefined protocol over hypervisor provided "channels" and
page flipping also done by the hypervisor for the bulk data transfer.
For the client side I cannot change the hypervisor nor the server
speaking on the other end.  And when I do write a server I do want
it to be able to speak to all of the existing clients.

There's SCSI command pass through as well, as I keep mentioning as
it's an important reason I don't want to go with any of the non-SCSI
solutions (other than perhaps ATA) being suggested.