[RFC/PATCH] powerpc: MPC7450 L2 HW cache flush feature utilization

Vladislav D. Buzov vbuzov at ru.mvista.com
Fri Jun 15 18:55:45 EST 2007

Segher Boessenkool wrote:

>>> Ok, I agree that the comment is obsolete now. Would you please explain
>>> why the branch over non-hardware-assisted code should be removed as
>>> well. Technically the cache is flushed and there is no need to use
>>> extra
>>> commands to fill and then re-flush the cache.
>>
>> I think Segher is saying that you can skip the manual invalidation too
>> (although he said "flushing", I think he really meant "invalidation"--
>> the manual flushing is already skipped).
>
> Erm yes.
>
>> If I'm reading the manual
>> correctly, L2HWF does the invalidation as well so both the manual
>> flushing and invalidation can be skipped.
>
> Yeah.  Not that it really matters of course.
Hrm. I don't think that cache invalidation should be skipped. It is done
after _set_L2CR() explicitly disabled the cache, in part of cache
enabling procedure. Note that cache is flushed only if _set_L2CR() is
called for already enabled cache. So, to skip cache invalidation there
is a need to somehow track whether the cache has been
flushed/invalidated before disabling or not. Since the manual
invalidation does not break anything I think it is better to leave it as
is rather than overload a _set_L2CR() logic.

Vlad.