[RFC/PATCH] powerpc: MPC7450 L2 HW cache flush feature utilization

Mark A. Greer mgreer at mvista.com
Fri Jun 15 08:26:20 EST 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 09:12:11PM +0400, Vladislav Buzov wrote:
> Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> >>      /* TODO: use HW flush assist when available */
> >

> > You want to get rid of this old comment though -- and
> > perhaps branch over the non-hardware-assisted cache
> > flushing code.
>
> Ok, I agree that the comment is obsolete now. Would you please explain
> why the branch over non-hardware-assisted code should be removed as
> well. Technically the cache is flushed and there is no need to use extra
> commands to fill and then re-flush the cache.

I think Segher is saying that you can skip the manual invalidation too
(although he said "flushing", I think he really meant "invalidation"--
the manual flushing is already skipped).  If I'm reading the manual
correctly, L2HWF does the invalidation as well so both the manual
flushing and invalidation can be skipped.

Mark