[patch 29/30] PS3: Device tree source.

Yoder Stuart-B08248 stuart.yoder at freescale.com
Fri Jun 15 00:39:03 EST 2007

Segher,

I don't understand this if we are following the 'Generic Names'
recommendation (which I thought we were).

http://playground.sun.com/1275/practice/gnames/gnamv14a.html

It gives two guidelines:

Guideline 1: "name" property values must be generic, reflecting
the device's function, but not necessarily its precise programming
model.

Guideline 2: The "compatible" property must be present. Its first
component should be an explicit, unique name that identifies the
device precisely enough to be able to infer the detailed programming
model from that name. The format of that explicit name is
manufacturer,model,...

I read that and my understand is that _compatible_ is required
and specifies the precise programming model.  name is supposed
to be generic-- currently booting-without-of.txt says the
property is optional because the name can be inferred from
the node name which should be generic.

Stuart