[patch 29/30] PS3: Device tree source.

Geoff Levand geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com
Thu Jun 14 11:31:48 EST 2007

Hi.

Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> Hi Geoff,
>
> Not much that can be wrong in this tree, so I'll get really
> pedantic, so you can have the best device tree ever ;-)
>
> There is one real bug though.
>
>> +/ {
>> +	model = "PS3 Game Console";
>
> model = "sony,some-model-number" or similar

There is no real model number for this product.  Model
numbers specify configuration like PAL video or 60GB disk.

model = "sony,ps3xxxxx"?  That doesn't seem any better than
model = "sony,ps3", but then what will be used for compatible?

I will use model = "SonyPS3";

>> +	compatible = "PS3";
>
> name = "sony,ps3"

As Ben H. said, the top level 'name' cannot be set, and
I found dtc exits with an error if you include one.

The compatible entry is generally used to test for machine
type, so I think that needs to remain, and I will use
compatible = "sony,ps3".

>> +	/*
>> +	 * Need to keep linux,platform for a while, not used by kernel.
>> +	 */
>
> Why that?

Newer dtc seems to be OK with this removed, old ones exited with error.

>> +	 * Seems the only way currently to indicate a processor has multiple
>> +	 * threads is with an ibm,ppc-interrupt-server#s entry.
>
> Yes, a better way should be defined.  Any suggestions?

No, there was some discussion to fix it, but no action.

>> +		CBE,PPE {
>
> PowerPC,CBE at 0 or cpu at 0 -- the important thing is you need
> the @0 unit address.

OK, I set it up as cpu at 0, since the actual type seems to be probed for.

>> +			device_type = "cpu";
>> +			ibm,ppc-interrupt-server#s = <0 1>;
>> +			clock-frequency = <0>;
>> +			timebase-frequency = <0>;
>> +			i-cache-size = <8000>;
>> +			d-cache-size = <8000>;
>
> I thought DL1 was 64kB, I might be wrong though?

The BE handbook says 32.

-Geoff