83xx GPIO/EXT int in arch/powerpc/

Marc Leeman marc.leeman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 07:17:40 EST 2007

> Wow.  Hardware designers sure like to make things easy, don't they?

<rant>
The reason that I am switching to powerpc is that dts seems a cleaner
way to handle the I-didn't-know-what-a-reference-design-is-for decisions
from our hardware designers and just connect up the devices like a large
box of lego :-/.

Even getting the gianfar eth devices up can become a challenge (not
again) because someone thought 'it makes more sense like this'. On
the bright side, I always have a reason in digging into the mpc834x
processor manual.
</rant>

> I'm assuming it's a PCI device on the board (and not in a slot).

yep, it's an FPGA device using PCI and GPIOs for interrupts (depending
on the board, it's for a MAC core in FPGA or custom logic).

> I believe you're ok if you explicitly define the node, and point it
> at the IPIC for its interrupt.  Something like this:
>
> pci1: pci at 8000 {
> 	my_pci_device at 0 {
> 		interrupts = <irq#, sense>;
> 		interrupt-parent = <&ipic>;
> 	}
> }

So I don't have to define the GPIO pins in pio-map in "vi) Pin
configuration nodes" and already set in the U-Boot bootloader? Using the
GPIOs for interrupts or IO would just work "out of the box" after the
U-boot initialisation (used for TI's HPI in with the UPMB).

Hang, and I finally thought the documentation made sense to me :-)

I already tried hardcoding the EXT7 pin as assigned in the ppc arch
(int 23); this would mean that, in the powerpc arch, the assignments of
interrupts is different wrt to ppc?

--
  greetz, marc
You'll be happy to know I have a plan.